You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.


Tuesday, June 20th 2006, 5:15pm

[Solved] Kmail - read messages become unread after switching directory

Hi everybody,

I have the following problem. I use Kmail to recive my mail from a pop3 account. After I recive the mail of course it is marked as unread after I read it or mark it as read, I can exit the directory and reenter it and it is marked unread again.

I think I have gotten pretty close to the source of the problem, by looking at how kmail marks messages.
What I found out, it is setting the mail's status in the folder:



It saves the mail in Form of



but what it should look like when marked as read is



I very appreciate your help and for those who read this and cannot help with problem solutions, it would be nice if you could post how your mails are stored (unread and read).

I think the :2,S means 2 =user#2 which and S =Seen

Thanks a lot
And keep up the good work

My thought that means user seems to be wrong because either ":1,S" and ":3,S" are unseen, which they shouldn't i guess.

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "Smooph" (Jun 26th 2006, 11:04am)



Posts: 948

Location: Eindhoven

Occupation: Software Engineer

  • Send private message


Wednesday, June 21st 2006, 6:31pm

RE: Kmail - read messages become unread after switching directory

Please try it on the mailinglist as well, there are more people specialized in KMail.
Bram Schoenmakers
KDE Netherlands (


Monday, June 26th 2006, 11:04am



I did not find a "good solution", but you can fix the problem by moving the





and restart your kmail.

Problem is your "losing"(we made a backup) your mail-folder and your mails, but all your account settings remain.

For me this little workaround was fitting

I hope none of you have this problem and if you do this post helps you to get rid of it.